26 May 2015

Okean of Emotions: Ukrainian is the language of the heart...

Чому Француженка вивчає українську мову? 

тому, що це мова серця! 

 

(Why a French woman is learning Ukrainian? 

Because it's the language of the heart!) 

 

Photogr. Unkn.
Westerners & Ukrainians are used to ask me this question: "Why do you learn Ukrainian language? Do you have any relatives or friends in this country? Are you doing business over there?... What's the reason of it? It's a beautiful but difficult language!"
I fully agree with this comment :) but "because it's difficult" is not a reason not to try! To tell you the truth, I speak Ukrainian poorly - even if I'm working on it everyday since January 2014... but I now dare to write a few words in that language to my friends - and it's a personal victory as they understand what I'm saying. :)

In fact, my interest for Ukrainian language & culture is an old story - as I explained in an older post. I was 8 years old and I wanted to sing the beautiful folk songs of this country... :) Writing poetry in French, my mother tongue, drove me to Vakarchuk's songs... and his music is the reason explaining that I finally decided to learn this language.

© AleXa - OkeanofEmotions - 2014

Since I started to learn Ukrainian, several things have changed in my soul... and I've finally found who I am! :) I'm not joking. This is a very strange feeling... But there are no surnatural causes to this. Indeed, this is very logical because thanks to this:
  • I've improved my own poetry writing skills - as I'm translating Vakarchuk's lyrics into French (a hard work that I'll have to explain later... but I really enjoy doing this!)
  • I created this blog in English and I can use this language in a different way than the one I'm used to at work.
  • I've got virtual friends all over the world with whom I share the same interest for Okean Elzy music.
  • I can finally use my knowledge of Russian language with the members of the official fan-club. Until then, I didn't know what to do with it...
  • I'm finally learning Ukrainian... which is of no use at all, as most people think  - from Los Angeles to Vladivostok and from Oslo to Pretoria... not to mention Ukrainians who seem puzzled by this strange idea. :)
  • Family & friends now understand why I learn it: I'm giving a hand to Slava for his communication in France... :) They kept telling me "This is of no use... you're wasting your time!" and it was sometimes complicated to explain that "I'm wasting my time the way I want!" :)
"Do you speak Ukainian? YES!"

So, the other day I came to this conclusion:
  • French is the language of my soul
  • English is the language of communication
  • Russian is the language of culture
  • ... but Ukrainian is the language of my heart! I know that since I'm 8 years old... Why did I wait 30 years to finally speak with my heart?
I posted these words on the web - in Ukrainian, of course! - and I shared it with some friends &... with Mr. Vakarchuk. :)
It seems that this personal feeling found resonance with him as he also shared it on Twitter - to tell you the truth, I was just amazed about this: if I'm used to be inspired by his words, I never thought that one day he could relay my ideas! :)))

I think that this is due to the fact that he could have said some of these words too. And I suppose that this true declaration of love of a French woman to Ukrainian language is rather surprising and can have a positive impact on his readers. :)
Well. We'll have to speak of this when we will meet! For sure, this day will come... For the time being, we can only share feelings on the web! :)


'Відчуваю - Vidchuvayu' - 'I'm feeling"