19 August 2014

A few words about Okean Elzy

Okean Elzy (in Ukrainian 'Океан Ельзи' that might be translated 'Elsa's Ocean') or O.E., is the most famous Ukrainian rock band. Formed in October 1994 in Lviv, a beautiful city in the western part of the country, Okean Elzy's popularity reaches nowadays a wide audience, far beyond Ukraine's borders:  if the band won hearts of many people in Eastern Europe several years ago, more and more fans are today Westerners.


Trying to define Okean Elzy's musical style would be too simplistic: It cannot be compared with any other! However, it can be noted that Svyatoslav Vakarchuk who composes most of O.E. songs, is a fervent Beatles fan. Moreover, his musical influences are varied: if Queen & Led Zeppelin are for sure some other sources of inspiration for him, one might also add jazz or… Ukrainian traditional folk music

Britpop sounds with a touch of Slavic culture... Okean Elzy's music is unique! 
Okean Elzy ukrainian rock band member photo collage
© Okean of Emotions / AleXa - 2014

But on top of that, what makes O.E. so special is, according to me, the quality of the deep and poetic lyrics. Slava Vakarchuk has a message of love to deliver...


'Slavic Britpop'? Love songs? Really?!!
Yes! Let me give you an example: 'Я так хочу... - Ya tak hochu... - I want so badly...'


This music strikes a chord in the hearts and the melody carries us along a journey on the Dnieper River...  What a beautiful song! - Well, that's my own personal view! :) - More simply, we can say 'That's very nice !!'... yes, it is! But when you get the idea of what is said... Wow!

Here is my English translation of the chorus:

"I want you so badly ...
Like a baby needs his mother.
I want you so badly...
Like Earth aspires to the sky.
I would have offered
All the desires in the world
And everything I have
So that, every morning,
I can finally call you by your first name...
I want you so badly!"


So... What would you say about this song now?

Indeed, there is much to be said! :) Great music, beautiful melody, Vakarchuk's captivating voice and deep lyrics: everything is perfect! 
All of their songs are in this particuliar style! That's why I love Okean Elzy... That's why I decided to create a blog devoted to my favorite rock band. Beautiful works and words of love must be shared worldwide!

Welcome to 'Okean of Emotions'!

AleXa

                'The Invisible Family' - Official Fan Club