19 August 2014

Okean Elzy: a blog in English?

As a fan of the Ukrainian pop-rock band Okean Elzy, I'm used to do some research on the Internet to stay updated with the latest news. The Westerner I am could be a bit frustrated by the fact that at least 80% of information available is written in Russian or in Ukrainian language. But luckily - and by choice! - both are not totally unknown to me. However, I often wonder how fans who do not speak these languages are informed.


The thing is that Okean Elzy's music - and the voice of the band's charismatic frontman, Svyatoslav Vakarchuk - crosses borders with each passing day, going West. When the music is good and the vocalist has some talent, a song touches your heart, whatever your nationality is! Nevertheless, your brain needs to understand. To do so, you have no other choice but to cross language barrier and cultural differences... which is far from obvious!

Svyatoslav Vakarchuk, leader of the Ukrainian rock band Okean Elzy, listening to the audience during a concert
Slava, we are listening to you... but what do you say? We need a translation!

Since the beginning of 2014, I share my own translations - in French, my mother tongue - of Okean Elzy and Svyatoslav Vakarchuk's songs on the web. I'm also used to post here and there comments about videos, publications, etc. I'm in contact with fans from all around the world and I see a genuine interest for the non-Russian/Ukrainian-speakers about Okean Elzy: people are asking so many questions!
It seems urgent to provide you now with useful information for an understanding of Okean Elzy musical and poetic world.

'Keep calm and listen to Okean Elzy'... in Ukrainian!

To date, very little information is available in 'Okean of Emotions' but this blog will grow gradually over the next weeks/months! You will find here the latest news and basic information about Okean Elzy such as the band's history, biographies, albums, songs, videos, tours, etc.
By the way, I would like to share with you my love for Ukrainian culture. I just find it so fascinated!

Regarding Okean Elzy, my main information sources are the official communication of the band (website, YouTube Channel & social networks) and the official fan club in Kiev, 'The Invisible Family'. Nothing is better than capturing the information at its source!

Keep calm and listen to Okean Elzy, Svyatoslav Vakarchuk, photo montage
Now it's crystal-clear! A smile can make a difference...

I've decided to write in English so that the information published here can be understood all around the world. However, I thank you for your indulgence on the quality of my writing style: French people are not known for their mastery of foreign languages ! ;-)
Thanks for your understanding.

Of course, your questions / comments / remarks are welcome. Feel free to contact me.

Svyatoslav Vakarchuk is used to say that we must break down the real or virtual walls between ourselves. With this blog, I want to take part, in my own way, in this wonderful work. To bring the world closer together, there is no better way than sharing information and emotions... on the rhythm of the Okean's heartbeat!

AleXa